Followers

Saturday, August 17, 2013

in a blink

Does time ever pass so fast that you can't even hold still?

All summer long I had been soaking up time with my little kids.  I crossed off items off of my to-do list that continually grew.  I planned bridal showers and organized cupboards.  I decorated and redecorated.  I spent more hours than I can count laying on my living room floor right in the middle of the action.

We splashed at the pool.
We took afternoon naps.
We learned the letters of the alphabet and "rain rain go away".

Then, all of a sudden, it was over.

Alarm clocks and blow dryers before 7 a.m.  Rushed cereal instead of french toast sticks.  Packed lunches and daycare drop-offs...

Not only has summer come and gone, but my little kids have also grown up in the meantime, too.  In just a matter of days, sweet miss Kate has learned to hold all of her weight off of the ground on her all fours!  She's not even 6 months old and has long since mastered sitting up and rolling...but I never would have thought so soon she'd be nearly crawling.  Really, I'm shocked that my little girl is almost halfway through her first year.  Why does it seem that now that she's away from me most of her day she's growing oh so fast?  Why did the summer and maternity leave have to fly by?

Everything changes in the blink of an eye, people.  Just one blink.

As Kate learns to move, Jack has learned to spell, talk, and reason.  He's smart, my little blonde boy.  He knows when to charm and has learned exactly how to get his way -- no matter who he's around.  He reads for fun...sometimes we storm into his room, mad at him for not taking a nap.  Then, we catch him reciting the ABC song the best he can to his little baby doll -- using the little light that is shining through his curtain.  He's thoughtful and caring and adores his baby sis.

As our little family adjusts back to reality, I am thankful for the times we do share together.  Our eat-at-the-dinner-table chats.  Our bedtime routine.  Our "Good mawning, Mom!  I seeeep good!" proclamations from our boy who sounds more like he's from Boston than from Iowa in the morning.  And our countless kisses, snuggles, and giggles as we walk through this thing we call life.  Although I'm not home all day every day, I can still soak in the moments I do have...because before you know it, both Jack and Kate will be grown.  In the blink of an eye.

1 comment: