...and it's not so bad!
Jack and I have successfully made it through three days of life as a working mom. I really thought it wouldn't be hard. I do love my job, my kiddos at school, and Jack's going to my aunt's in-home daycare. I was wrong. HARD! Probably the hardest thing I've ever done in my life was to walk out of my door after giving Jack a kiss...knowing I wouldn't see him for 9 hours straight. I wanted anything to give up teaching and stay at home with my little man. I bawled at the thought of someone else trying to figure out his schedule that I'd worked on for weeks. I was saddened by the thought of having so much to do and spending much less time with him. And to top it off, there was snow in the forecast - lots of it.
Monday: after drying my tears and fixing my not-so-perfect make-up, I walked into school with the "can do" attitude of Thomas the Train. Maybe that's already the mommy in me? I let out a few more cries to some great friends. I made a little pumping station in my storage closet so I wouldn't have to figure it out during my already short lunch. I wrote the agenda on the board for the first time since before Thanksgiving. And, as soon as I saw my 8th graders I was okay. We caught up, I showed them a few pictures of Jack, and the day was perfect.
Tuesday: no tears! I thought about Jack all day long. I changed my desktop picture to my little man. I got an email from Eric saying "Jack loves you". I had students thank me for teaching them. I was glad to be back.
Wednesday: it's getting easier! I can kiss Jack goodbye and know that in a short time I will get to see him again. I know that he's very well taken care of. I know that he's getting used to his new surroundings. And, I know its best for both of us. My personality is not at all suited for staying at home surrounded by animals and a baby -- I like to talk way too much for that! I'm thinking we can do this.
I didn't imagine the sobbing, blubbering mom scene on Monday morning. I didn't expect the break down of feeling overwhelmed after my first day back to work. And, I didn't think that it would get better. But, it has. I'm thankful for an amazing little baby Jack. I'm so glad to have a great hubby who takes such good care of Jack and me (he even drops him off at daycare so I don't have to say goodbye; I get to say hello). I'm feeling very blessed for my fabulous job that I truly love.
So glad that your week has gotten better, Jenni!! Something tells me you'll figure out a balance pretty quick and settle into a nice routine--you're that good! And just think...only 2 more days until the weekend. :)
ReplyDelete