Followers

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

on the flip side.

For the past five years, and for as long as I've known any better, I've been a teacher.  I see kids and want to teach them and help them learn about all things life.  I love what I do and I pour my whole heart into my past, present, and even future students -- the ones I always call my "kids".  I've lived through five "first days of school" and new student jitters, as well as 500+ parent/teacher/student conferences where I convince parents their kids are just as great as they think -- and more.

Okay, we know you love teaching, Krieger.  What's the catch?

Jack started his first day of "school" on Monday of this week.  Preschool.  Instead of being in an in-home with I don't know, maybe four kids at the most, he's now in the 3-year-old butterfly room with 7 other 3 year olds learning, playing and growing.  I have to admit...I was so nervous that first day.  Would he do okay without his little 'ducky seat' that he learned how to pee with?  Would he listen to his teacher?  Will he know how to sit, play, eat at a little kids table?  Will he show him how much he knows already or just sit quiet and observe?

After five years of teaching other people's kids, my kid was the one being taught.

So many things clicked.  Things like... why do I work so hard to get to know each of my students?  Because at home they are someone else's baby.  Every kiddo has their quirks, their talents, and their feelings.  I want Jack's teachers to know his.  I want them to teach him to be his best.  I want them to learn about what he knows and to laugh with him.  I am trusting them with my baby...and it's crazy.  So far, we are three days in.  Two accidents, a few tears, and a whole lot of adorable activities and we're smoothly transitioning into school mode.

I asked Jack who his friends were on the first day...none other than Miss Ashley his teacher.  Today she was gone.  The first thing he said, in the most adorably disappointed voice ever, "Miss Ashwey was gone today, Mom".  I asked him, again, who were his friends today and he still replied his teacher.  So far, so good!  I am loving this place.  They work on letters/sounds/numbers/reading/sitting/playing so many wonderful things for little kiddos to figure out before they get to school.

Today, as I pulled up from a long day of school, eager to pick up my little man....I saw a little pile of tiny 3-year-olds huddled in front of a teacher.  I could see Jack but he couldn't see me.  I sat there in my car.  Breathless.  There's my 'baby Jack'....sitting at the carpet, sitting just like he should with all the other kids.  How could it be that my little man is already 3?  How can it be that he's ready for school?  It feels like yesterday I was kissing his adorably chubby newborn cheeks and today I sat watching him grow up right before my eyes.  As I finally caught my breath, I thought to myself -- write this down.  This is one of those moments you'll never want to forget.

So, after months of not writing...I pour my heart onto this screen.  About continuously learning, life, growing up and this amazing journey of motherhood.  It takes me places I never think about going.  I love it more and more each day.

I've said it before and I'll say it again,
I was made to be your mom, Jack.
I am proud of you -- all of your stubborn, pee-on-yourself, cry about a blanket self that has already taken on this new challenge in your life.  I cannot, and I mean cannot wait to watch you grow.
Love,
Your mom.
Your forever teacher.



1 comment:

  1. ::::::love this:::::: My sister is the best mom! ::::love you Jack:::::

    ReplyDelete