Eric and I were neatly organized, perfectly planned, and over-prepared for life. I would usually plan out my wardrobe a week in advance, write out to-do lists galore, and my desk at school was perfectly clear and organized. Not to mention, our house was impeccably spotless. I think I went almost an entire school year without using a single sick day. Each night I fit in a work out, a home-cooked meal for the two of us, and we spent quality time chatting about our days while I cozied up into a steamy bubble bath that Eric drew for me. I was to the point where I was bored with being bored. There's only so much shopping and cleaning a girl can do!
Planned.
Organized.
Structured.
After Jack:
Last week, Jack came down with terrible ear infection. We spent two nights home with him {gasp, sub plans suck!} and had lots of cuddles and snotty noses. Eric's parents were in town and we decided to treat them to Jethro's -- the amazing new BBQ spot in Waukee. After 17 pieces of food landed on the floor and two, count them, two helpings of strawberry fruit snacks to tide Jack over, we decided it was time to go. A messy diaper bag in hand...
Now-a-days, we're a little less structured.
A little less organized.
Tonight, we attempted to find Daddy a new set of shades...it's been 7 years since he's updated his lenses. After Jack ran around the store, took about 100 pairs of glasses of the shelf, and managed to annoy every person in the room...we realized, again, it was time to go. A 7 o'clock bedtime usually comes in handy, but on "running errands" kind of nights with a ear infection...7 o'clock comes awfully early.
It stinks to see Jack sick, sad, and tired...all at the same time.
It sucks to write sub plans and to disappoint my kiddos.
It is hard to live this less structured, much less glamoursly planned life.
Most days of mommyhood are amazing. Some are difficult. Almost every day gets a little messy!
As we enter into this not-so-sure-what-kind-of-a-mood-our-toddler-is-in stage, I'm learning to
roll with the punches...
I wouldn't trade any snotty night, any tired and sick snuggle, and any scream {no matter how loud it gets} in the middle of the store. I just love my little guy...and all of these adventures he takes us through. I'm sure there'll be more ear infections, more syringes filled with antibiotics, more sub plans...and that's okay. I'm learning to be cool with the less-planned, more happy mommy lifestyle!
Jack with his burn, runny nose, four molars coming in and an ear infection...still smiling :)
Jack having fun with Gramma!
You should have seen my black granite counter tops after we let Jack dig into the dip! AH! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment