Followers

Monday, April 11, 2011

Adventures in Baby Food...

As a kid, I remember renting Adventures in Babysitting books from the public library. I was obsessed with babies and stories that went along with them. Now, I'm enjoying my own adventures in baby raising. The newest feat: homemade baby food!

During Jack's four month well-baby appointment, the doctor told us Jack's very much so ready for real food (months before he technically should =). She said we could try whatever we'd like, we just had to stick with one thing for a few days to check for any allergies. So far, so good (which is a huge deal - I'm allergic to everything from peanuts to artificial sugar). He's finally figured out that food isn't something to spit out, and is actually helping by grabbing the spoon and shoving it into his mouth. It's his newest, most adorable little milestone ever.

I experimented with homemade peas and carrots before we moved, but I had a gigantic food processor. The job seemed overwhelming and annoying. So, I stepped up my baby food making game and bought this handy dandy gadget:

My new knock-off Magic Bullet! Works like a charm...

We bought bunches of bananas and a huge bag of mini carrots for $4.00 total! (Thanks, Jill, for the great, healthful ideas for making homemade baby food. I love my expert mommies who give me all kinds of advice!) It's actually much cheaper and better for Jack to have homemade baby food, who knew? Now, of course my cupboards are stacked with Gerber packaged baby food for the days when we're on the go or in a hurry. I refuse to be one of those crazy, obsessive health-nut moms -- but I will try my best when I can!

Jack loves bananas mixed with his cereal.

All frozen and ready to go for months!

I'm sure all of you mommies out there can relate to this, but I love what life is after baby. I feel like we've figured out Jack...and how to be parents. We balance everything out (including having a social life, we just have one at home while Jack's sound asleep in his crib)! I love our adventures -- from rolling, to cooing, to standing, to eating. I love that every trip to the store lands us one more thing for Jack, which usually means one less thing for me - and I'm totally okay with it. It's funny how I'm exactly where I thought I'd be as a grown up. And, I'm still growing up. I love my life. I love my stacked freezer with homemade baby food. I love Jack. And, most of all, I love Eric for helping me reach my dreams.

"You have brains in your head,
you have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

1 comment: