As I finished my first year of teaching, I realized I was missing something. Yes, I had dozens of crazy first-year-teacher stories, wonderful coworkers that are now great friends, and a cute little two bedroom apartment decorated in nothing but stars. However, mid-year I realized I wasn't bogged down with lesson plans or stressed about what to teach anymore and I missed learning. I love to be challenged. I love to think and discuss.
I love to learn.
In my second year of teaching (in a new district, teaching a new grade level, with a brand new baby while building a house...whew!) I decided I wasn't busy enough?! Ha. I decided to begin a graduate program in order to become a future school administrator. I researched ISU, Drake, and Viterbo, and ultimately chose ISU because of the easy communication, similar set-up to UNI which I was familiar with, and weekday classes vs. weekend (mostly).
Then, life got crazy. Didn't I say I like to be challenged? Well that happened alright.
While keeping up with classes, 20-page research pages, discussions, group projects and more...I taught 140+ 8th graders all about rocks, raised a baby into a blossoming terrible-two's toddler, had another baby, and made our house into a home. The last two years have proven to be interesting, challenging, and oh so rewarding.
I've officially graduated with my Master's in Educational Leadership from Iowa State University.
I said it! I typed it! It's kind of sort of sinking in.
With one door closing, another door opens. I decided I wasn't ready to be bored next year without grad school so...
I have accepted a 5th Grade teaching position at our brand new elementary {not even finished being built yet} in Waukee! I am SO excited for SO many things {including a giant list of pinterest classroom ideas for all things elementary....stay tuned!}
When one door closes another one opens. Here I come, elementary school!
Sweet week-old Kate watching mommy type paper, after paper, after paper...
(I know you're jealous that this is how I got to spend my maternity leave... =)
No comments:
Post a Comment