Followers

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Breastfeeding 101

I was bound and determined to at least try and breastfeed little Jackson. I knew it was better for him, and me. I didn't know if I'd enjoy it or could handle it; it actually has proven easy! There's a lot to the simple concept that I didn't realize but overall it's simple, quick, and easy.

The good...
  • It's the best nutritionally for baby. I'm allergic to life...so I thought feeding baby Jackson breast milk would be easiest -- rather than deal with possible allergies (it took my parents 9 different tries with formula before they discovered one I could keep down). And, I hear IQ levels are higher in breast fed babies :) So far, Jack loves my milk!
  • I'm down 25 pounds already....and I only gained 8 the whole pregnancy! Breastfeeding burns up to 500 more calories a day. It also makes the uterus go back to pre-pregnancy size faster.
  • I can wear JEANS WITH BUTTONS AND ZIPPERS again! And, they are actually a little big now! Shopping spree soon?!? I feel like I have a whole new wardrobe...going from maternity clothes to an entire closet filled with cute clothes that either fit or are too big -- I'll take it.
  • Can we say cheaper? Formula is expensive! We stocked up on some in case I gave up quickly on the breastfeeding at the hospital. Breastfeeding is free, baby!
  • I'd actually say it's easy. Before trying it...I mostly heard horror stories or of people who gave up before they started. It's really very easy. And, I'm a regular milk factory! I could feed all the babies on our block I'm sure.
  • Bonding with baby. The thought of breastfeeding before Jack grossed me out to be honest. But, I knew I'd try at least. Now that he's here, it's such a great bonding experience. I feel proud to know that I can provide him with the best nutrition just by being his mom. The cute looks on his little face...his little milk mustache after he's done eating...and his big ol' belch when he's done on one side = priceless.
  • Poopy diapers are easier to clean, and they don't smell bad :) And, Jack doesn't spit it up AT ALL!
  • My breast pump was covered by insurance (usually a $300 pricetag)! So, I'm able to pump and freeze milk.
The bad...
  • I'm limited and bound to the baby's schedule. Rather than being able to leave him with daddy (or anyone else), I have to either be there to feed him or have some milk pumped out. Which then results in engorged boobies...ouch!
  • I can only have one drink at a time -- otherwise I have to pump and dump my milk. Which hasn't been an issue yet; I still feel guilty even looking at a bottle of wine. I'm sure that will disappear soon.
  • I don't plan to continue when I'm back to work. I don't have a schedule that I could easily fit pumping into. I only have a 20ish minute lunch, and that'd be just enough time to pump and clean. So, I'll keep it up for now...freeze as much as I can...and supplement when I'm back to work.
The ugly...
  • Nursing bras. Enough said.
  • Clothes. I can't just wear my cute clothes...I have to think about if it will be easily accessible when little Jack decides he's hungry. I walk around the house in sweats, nursing bras, and tank tops. Lovely!
Overall, breastfeeding has been a joy. I'm glad I didn't give up too soon; I looked at the perfectly portioned Similac bottles in the hospital and thought how easy it would be just to cave into formula...

No comments:

Post a Comment