Followers

Monday, December 6, 2010

Jack's Birthday

Jackson Charles Krieger
Born 11/30/2010 @ 2:55 p.m.
8 lbs 15 oz & 21 inches long


It was 6:00 a.m. on Tuesday, November 30th, 2010. We were actually scheduled for an induction for that day, but we wanted to keep that a secret. I didn't get any sleep, as I was so anxious for the next day. Would we have our little son? Or would the hospital be too full and we'd have to wait another few days? After a few minutes I quickly realized my water had broken! What a coincidence. We showered, packed, and headed for the hospital. On time as scheduled, except I was in labor already.

We were sent to room 2016. A room tucked in the corner of the labor and delivery wing at Mercy Medical downtown Des Moines. Eric and I stared and smiled at each other; we relished in the last moments of 'us'. Within a few minutes I was hooked up to IV's, baby heartrate monitors, and contraction timers. I was checked and was dilated to 4 and 100% effaced. I had a feeling labor would progress quickly. I was right! Within an hour I was dilated to 7, and an hour after that I was ready to push! I kept thinking: this is too easy...

Then came delivery. I never realized labor and delivery were two VERY different things. My labor was a breeze - two hours and I was ready to go! My delivery...that's a whole different story. It was Eric, Me, and the nurse. The baby was turned, but the nurse was determined to still deliver normally. So, we pushed. Then, we turned and pushed. After that, we changed positions again and pushed. Eventually, 2 and a half hours later, we were still pushing. The doctor came in and gave me the option of pulling the little guy out with forceps. At that time, they could have said cement chisel or bulldozer...get him out already! So, in a matter of seconds Jack was plopped on my belly --- screaming and crying instantly.

It was so surreal. The moment I'd waited for 10 months, and really 24 years. I've always wanted to be a mom. I, in my dreary state, looked down. I kissed his forehead and whispered "Welcome, Jack. I'm your mommy. I love you." No one but Jack heard.

Then came the whirlwind. 45 minutes of stiching - all while being able to feel every tug and stich. Afterall, by the end of the pushing my epidural had worn off. I ate a quick bite as they continued to work on baby and me. After that, a bathroom attempt quickly turned into me turning green, passing out, throwing up my just-eaten food, and nurses screaming "EMERGENCY". It was very scary. The worst part: it happened again after all of the guests left...except this time I couldn't even hear. A true black-out! All the wonderful things about labor no one ever tells you about! All totally worth it.

We eventually made our way to our room we'd stay in for the next few days. We had tons of family and friends waiting. Everyone loved our little man.

Being Mommy and Daddy has come naturally for Eric and Me. That first night was filled with chats about life, how blessed we are, and how on Earth will I ever figure out this whole breastfeeding thing. Everytime Jack left the room we frowned and talked about how we miss him already, and how it seemed too easy. So far, so good! One of the most memorable parts of the whole entire day was watching Eric hold him. He didn't realize I was listening -- with a tear in his eye he wispered "Jack, you're the best thing that's ever happened to me. I love you." It was the most adorable thing ever! I had several nurses throughout our stay whisper to me about how great of a dad Eric was and how lucky of a family we were.

We are lucky. We love you, Jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment