From the day I found out I was pregnant I spent hours upon hours perfecting our home for the baby's arrival. 'Nesting' was a large part of my every day (and that hasn't stopped). It's funny to look back at my "I'm ready for you little man" posts with my perfectly placed nursery decor, stacks of diapers I thought would last a lifetime, and piles and piles of clothes. Again, I'm living and learning.
The nursery decor changed as soon as we came home from the hospital. Oh, and by the way, you leave the hospital with more than you go there with - so pack lightly! The drawers which I thought were perfectly placed on the bottom shelf (they weren't too sightly, so bottom shelf it was) were instantly shoved to the top. They were filled with burp cloths and bibs...two things I never realized would define my life. I also had to find a spot for all of my breastfeeding supplies which I was totally ignorant of. I now have a place for my pads, lanolin, breast shells, and everything else I didn't realize I'd need. The shelf above the changing table is our lifeline. Instead of cute stuffed animals, our shelf adorns destin diaper cream, baby wipes, lotion, and a baby brush for after baths. Far from cute, but very practical!
{Before - and that chair is now in the living room! I live in it.}
{After}
I remember washing and REWASHING Jack's clothes...just to make sure they smelled like Dreft. Who knew I'd be washing so many clothes! There's definitely never a chance that something doesn't smell like Dreft now. Also, I never thought twice about washing the clothes. That means you rip the tags off. Yep. There were several (and when I say several I'm using the term lightly) pieces of clothing that Jack never made it into, or spit up and couldn't fit after washing. Living and learning...
Diapers. Pacifiers. Bibs. Burp cloths. Booger-sucker-upper (who really knows the name of that thing?!). All of these things define my day.
- We have (well had) a gigantic stock of diapers. They disappear quickly. We've already bought our own box of size 1 diapers yesterday. I was sure they'd last...
- I was also sure that I wouldn't stick those sightly pacifiers in MY baby's mouth. They are so ugly and they are just a plug for your baby to express themselves. WHO WAS I KIDDING? Those things should cost more than gold or diamonds. I love you, Avent and Nuk pacifiers.
- Burp cloths are so amazing. They catch every fluid that comes out of any orifice. As soon as one is spit up on...dirty clothes basket! And, it's Eric's specialty to loose them. He changes Jack - new burp cloth. He puts Jackson in the crib - burp rag disappeared. We go through a lot of burp cloths.
- Boogers are the devil! I feel so bad when I can hear Jackson trying to breathe with boogers blocking the way! He and I both love the booger-sucker-upper. He moves his nose to make it perfect viewing for me. I feel like I've accomplished an insurmountable task when I get a boogie out. So glorious, huh? =) Just call me the boogiemister!
I've quickly discovered that being a mom is not all glorious, cutesy, and perfect. And...that's just how I like it. I'm getting used to letting things go and enjoying the moment with the best Christmas gift of all. I've given up make-up and a cute outfit for sweatpants and a good headband to cover my not-so-stylish mom do. I relish in the quiet, peaceful moments of our little family slowly figuring out our lives together. I'm blessed and thankful for all that we have been given. And, I'm living and learning each day...
I'll leave you with some pictures of our little Jackson Charles...
{Jack cuddles with his first toy - this little frog makes noise and lights up! He clenches on for dear life to it!}
{Lots of tummy time has paid off - he can lift his head!}
{Quality time on his pottery barn gym with daddy and maggie}
{Another day out shopping - first day wearing shoes! So cute}
Cute post! I totally agree that motherhood is not always cute and perfect but it's 100% worth it. You sure do live and learn and that will not stop. 2 1/2 years later Nick and I are still learning.The boogie-master thing will never go away either.I'm obsessed! I babysat too many kids back in my day that had booger noses and it drove me crazy. I always thought to myself "my kid will never have a booger nose especially in public". Hence the reason we always have a boogie sucker upper and make it a game for him and I to get rid of those nasty devils ;) Why wouldn't we right!! Hahaha....
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas my dear, I don't think I will be able to see you when you are back this time =( text me if you guys are staying throgh the afternoon on Sunday otherwise, Lex and I talked about planning a weekend in Jan to come visit!
xoxo, Mandy
Oh my, what a little cutie! LOVE him with his little shoes on!
ReplyDelete