
It's amazing how one little man can change a life so much.
It's almost hard to remember life before baby. I remember wanting to wait to have a baby until we were ready...and our lives finally got to the boredom point. The point where going out wasn't much fun anymore, our careers were set and stable, and most of our friends were getting married and having babies of their own. When going to the mall wasn't about people watching for bad outfits or purses, but stroller searching for cute little ones and being envious of baby bumps.
Before Jack,
I would drag myself out of bed for yet another day. I wasn't greeted by a cooing, smiling baby waiting for a cuddle. I wasn't rushing out of work to drive as fast as I could to Jack's daycare. My focus was work and Eric- to be the best teacher and wife I could be. I'm glad I focused on those two things for several years. Now, I can focus on being a mom.
Before Jack,
Eric and I would work on the plans for the next weekend...that's about as 'in advance' as it got. We looked forward to visitors and nights out with friends. We spent all week trying to plan to fill up our days off. Now, we're not sure what a day off would look like. We talk all day long about coos, feedings, and diapers. We lay on our apartment floor covered in burp rags and bright, colorful, noisy baby toys oodling our little creation. We're almost more content when there aren't any plans for the coming weekend...
Before Jack,
I would run around every day and night looking for things to buy, do, and work on. I was so selfish! It was always about a new outfit, a haircut and highlight, or a new Coach purse. Now, Jack looking cute totally overrides myself. I'm due for a new haircut, I just forget to call to make an appointment. I haven't even thought about a new purse - my diaper bag is what I carry most of the time. And, I hardly go to the mall and pick something up for me to wear! And, that's just the way I want it. Instead of Gap, I'm rushing to baby Gap. Instead of swinging into Loft, I'm pushing a stroller through Pottery Barn Kids.
I remember watching new moms before I was one myself. I remember wondering how they did it all. How were they both a mom and a wife? How did they manage work, baby, husband, friends, cleaning? How could they not spend every waking second with their little. Now, I understand. Priorities change...for the better. It all falls into place. Everything that's meant to be, happens. Everything that doesn't matter is washed away by something more important. And that something more important is usually the adorably amazing little man you see at the top of this post...
A new baby is like the beginning of all things -
wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities.
Eda J. Le Shan
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletewonderfully said sis!
ReplyDelete