There's something so exciting about buying a new house. Yes, we've done it before...but this time feels more real. Eric and I are on a search for our family's dream home in Waukee, Iowa.
Last year around this time we were just getting settled into our new lives in West Des Moines. I landed the perfect 1st year teaching job on the South side of Des moines; Eric transferred to a lending position at a bank instead of a credit union, and life was great! We had no idea where the next year would take us. We planned on renting our fabulous apartment - equipped with vaulted ceilings, dual walk-in closets, and two bathrooms - for another year. It was as close to home as it was going to get for awhile. We didn't plan on purchasing a house until we got to know the area better and figured out where we wanted to plant ourselves and raise a family.
Well, a year later, I've landed yet another amazing teaching position - this time in a very close-knit/family friendly school district and town, Eric's been promoted to Branch Manager, and we have our first little one on the way. My how a year can change things! We are now looking to 'settle down' and buy a house in the coming months. Thanks to my perfect teaching job...we know we want to do so in Waukee.
Each day I get email updates on homes available for purchase. Eric does research to find all of our "must haves" in our dream home. And, on the occasional Sunday we'll roam through some homes in nearby Waukee neighborhoods. It's our little get-out-of-the-house adventure together.
This time our search is so different. We can afford so much more than before...in fact more than double our first home! It's amazing what two incomes will do to a household budget! :) We know we need at least three bedrooms, at least two bathrooms, and we'd prefer a two-story home this time around. The best part: all of those options are so attainable, and usually are boasted in brand new or nearly new homes!
One thing that stands out to me in Waukee is the family-friendly atmosphere. Drive through any cookie-cutter newly developed housing complex (my favorites!) and you'll see play sets, families out throwing the football around, and lots of bikes. I also noticed signs that say "Please drive slowly we love our children". I love them. They just make it the perfect place for us to start our new family.
So, here's to our house hunt! Wish us luck...
Waukee, here we come!
I must say, you guys work quickly!!! lol. I guess you've known what you've wanted for a long time, and you're finally getting it, so why wait :) Brandon and I go on sunday drives too looking at houses, I wish our house was in a different neighborhood. Do you remember when we used to live on Coachman Dr? That whole neighborhood off Greenhill Rd. is my favorite if I have to live in the loo. So we go grab DQ and look around, just for fun. I like the idea of ranch style houses, less to clean and all on one floor. I have never been to Waukee, very curious, sounds great! Happy Hunting :)
ReplyDelete