Tomorrow is the first day of school.
Why I love school:
1. I love to have a routine. I like to have a time schedule, a plan, an outfit picked out, a to-do list. It's totally my personality to talk to adults (instead of toddlers) all day.
2. I absolutely adore getting to know my 13 and 14 year olds. I love their drama and awkwardness. I love their love for adults other than their parents -- me. :) I love being an ear to listen and I love seeing the smiles as they have a great year.
3. Jack loves daycare. He likes people and friends. He loves my aunt's cooking! He's so stinkin' cute when he runs and says "maaamaaa" when he sees me. He pairs that with a little penguin waddle run to me and then heads right for the "sues" (shoe) tote. Totally worth it.
4. I feel so accomplished when I'm working. I know what I need to do and what I've done. There's a good feeling in knowing I've accomplished something in my day.
Why I don't love school:
1. Jack. This summer has been filled with so many fun things with my big man. We've learned every.single.animal.sound. We spend probably four of five days out of the week at the Clive pool. I'll never forget the laughs we'd get from the lifeguards when he'd run up to the little fish and said "bblubb bblubb" so intently.
2. Pajamas and sweat pants. I've been back to work for a week now, and by the end of the day I want to rip my regular people clothes off. Literally. Sweat pants and stretchy clothes have filled my summer wardrobe...and now I'm back to fancy black pants (which suck, by the way) and layers. However, I'd probably be a 500 pound stay-at-home-mom if I wasn't required to wear actual clothes.
3. No to-do lists, cleaner house, and lots of free time. This summer has been awfully relaxing (in between a couple of grad. classes). I will miss the extra time.
4. Naps. I don't know why we don't build in naps into our school day? This momma could sure use one everyday, right after lunch time. 20 min power nap in my storage closet? I wish.
As you can see, the first day of school is bittersweet. I leave the house with a crying Jack saying "momma" as loud as he can (as if he already knows he's back to daycare for good). I come to school and hang out with some amazing tweenie boppers. The day flies by. My to-do list never ends...and get to put new outfits together. Real outfits. I hope my straightener is ready. I hope my classroom at school cools down (or I'll be opening my windows in the winter)! And, I hope this year goes as smoothly as possible.
Here's to year four! Man...I really am getting old.
Happy back-to-school to all the kids and teachers out there!
No comments:
Post a Comment