Eric and I attended our very first prenatal class last night from 7-9 pm. We stopped by Subway on our way there, chatted about new jobs and house hunting, rode an elevator up ONE floor (sad, yet true) and dashed down the winding halls of Mercy Medical Center downtown Des Moines.
It was a very interesting day for the two (and three-quarters) of us. First, we checked in and I found the nearest bathroom; I went at Subway five minutes prior, and already needed to go! Then, we took a seat in the back row of a room filled with soft, soothing music and dimmed lights. As couples piled in, I felt so welcomed and normal. In the real world I stand out. I have a gigantic belly, a slight waddle, and I'm as white as white can get (can't wait for those tanning beds again)! Here, however, I was surrounded by pregnant ladies, comforting husbands, and stretchy maternity clothing. I noticed several of the ladies had swelling feet and they seemed uncomfortable. For the first time, I felt proud and excited about my growing belly. It didn't seem that huge anymore.
Class begins. The instructor starts showing graphic medical images of what's going on inside the womb, what events are coming soon, and filled our already forgetful brains with terms, ideas, and advice. I'm thinking...why are we coming here for TWO HOURS for the next five weeks?
I learned a lot. Breastfeeding a newborn can possibly burn up to 800 calories a day - SCORE! The burst of energy you get that makes you want to clean and organize is nature's way of getting you ready for birth - so don't go too crazy! Labor laying down in a hospital bed is actually not-so-good for mom and baby...it doesn't let gravity do it's job. I also learned that I have a brave hubby who's willing to wear the sympathy belly the entire next session. Love him.
It seems surreal to think that at the end of this prenatal class journey, we'll have only a few short weeks before we welcome our little. I hope we learn, grow, and become more confident in labor, delivery, and taking care of our little man.
Bonus points: I scored yet another pregnancy book to fill my not-so-often bored moments...
No comments:
Post a Comment