Followers

Sunday, July 14, 2013

every little inch

Half bath revamp --- revealed!  I know, you're so excited you can't stand it.   Here are my thoughts on my little space.

My wimpy, sad little half bath now has a life of it's own.

Thanks to Pinterest, I found all. kinds. of. ideas.  Too many ideas!  Round one of the revamp included framing those mirrors....you know, the ones that look like a piece of glass was just glued to the wall like in a cheap apartment?!  Yes, those mirrors.  We went to Lowe's (both babies in tow) and picked out one of the thousand trim boards.  We ended up with solid wood, painted white boards that resembled a picture frame.  {by the way, lowes has these sweet car carts where the kiddos face forward and pretend drive...genius}  We left with some liquid nails, a caulk gun, and lots and lots of trim board.  While Eric used power tools -- I know, I'm impressed too -- I attempted to figure out how to work a caulk gun.  It's actually really easy!  The biggest lesson learned with this project is:  paint FIRST, attach SECOND.  That seems like a given, but I was so anxious to see the trim on the mirrors that we did just the opposite...which left us with a terrible view through the window of the back of the trim.  We ended up buying a tiny piece of trim and painted ALL of it black before attaching it...which finalized the look.  ABSOLUTELY love the look of them.  They look finished, that's for sure!

Next, operation wallpaper.  Okay...take my advice here people....don't do wallpaper.  Ever.  For any reason.  It is not perfect, it looks ridiculously homemade, and it's terrible.  Eric and I were so excited to adventure into wallpaper...  After spending all morning between feedings and trains we hung three pieces of wallpaper.  Minutes later -- edges peeling, glue drying white, terrible bubbles remained.  I took it down and threw it away as fast as I can, before I even took a picture.  Whew.  Adventures in wallpaper complete.  Never, ever again.

I decided I wanted to buy into the chevron fiasco and searched for the perfect yellow chevron fabric.  I found the perfect beige/yellow pattern at Hob Lob and didn't buy it because I wasn't sure if I was ready to commit to chevron.  I found a different fabric at Hancock Fabrics to match and that was it.  I picked out two half-off frames at Michaels {literally the best store for frames} and a few little trinkets for the floating shelves we installed.  I picked up a gallon of beigy-gray paint and was ready to go!  I painted that half bath in one and a half hours from start to finish (way, way less than it took to attempt three strips of wallpaper).  Then, Eric hung the floating shelves and by the next morning everything was in place!  I am an efficient decorator.  I collect everything and then bust out the room real quick.  I like instant gratification.

Here's my final, finished product!  I adore this little space.  Welcome to the new and improved...








I think I can say that every little inch of living space in my house is decorated.  Bittersweet!  I wonder when I'll find a reason to redecorate something?  My brand new empty classroom is calling my name...

No comments:

Post a Comment